Sunday 29 April 2012

Day 145 to 152 – “I’m So Glad I Went to Church”

This weekend my Church held its semi-annual Stake Conference in Coventry. Whilst sitting in the congregation, listening to some inspiring and uplifting talks, someone passed me their mobile phone on which was a text message from a young family from our Church in Banbury.

The message stated that this family had caught a coach to Conference and whilst travelling the baby had been violently sick over all their clothes. They were in such a state that they had decided just to go home; as they were no condition to sit for two hours in a conference hall. After further clarification I ascertained they were still sitting in a waiting room at Coventry Railway Station waiting for a train.

I immediately grabbed my coat, left the conference centre and made my way to the railway station. I found a bedraggled, miserable and cold family in a waiting room on one of the platforms. I packed them into my car and, as they warmed themselves, took them safely back to their home in Banbury.

I’m so glad I went to Conference.

Other opportunities given to me to serve this week have included:

4 x Gave cash to a charity
5 x Gave a big smile and a hello to a stranger
24 x Proactively ‘gave-way’ to another driver
1 x Replaced store’s merchandise that had fallen off the display
6 x Picked up rubbish in the neighbourhood
6 x Wrote a letter of appreciation to someone
1 x Visited with a family in need of company and friendship
1 x Voluntary work within the Community
1x Rescued a stranded family
5 x Proactively ‘gave-way’ to a pedestrian
2 x Did some DIY for someone in need
2 x Voluntary work for Ipsos Access Panels

Sub total: 58
Running total: 1428

Target: 3000+ in 12months

Commenced 30th November 2011

Motivation for ‘’My Ten-a-day’

One day a man was walking along the beach when he noticed a boy picking something up and gently throwing it into the ocean.

Approaching the boy, he asked, “What are you doing?”

The youth replied, “Throwing starfish back into the ocean. The surf is up and the tide is going out. If I don’t throw them back, they’ll die.”

“Son,” the man said, “don’t you realize there are miles and miles of beach and hundreds of starfish? You can’t make a difference!”

After listening politely, the boy bent down, picked up another starfish, and threw it back into the surf. Then, smiling at the man, he said, “I made a difference for that one.”

No comments:

Post a Comment