Wednesday 22 August 2012

Day 253 to 267 – The Mysterious Case of the Moving Wheelie Bin

It can be very frustrating when you miss the rubbish collection; especially with fortnightly pick-ups. So I have been putting out my neighbour’s bins, if needed, when I put mine out. I also enjoy putting them all back and picking-up any scattered rubbish.

Over the past two weeks I have noticed that my bin had been put back without my help; I assumed Gill had done it. Well, what a lovely surprise I had when a neighbour, I hardly knew, informed me that she had been doing it.
I know it’s not much, but it did give me a warm feeling just to know a stranger was looking out for me.
The last two weeks of kind acts included:

22 x Gave a big smile and a hello to a stranger
8 x Gave cash to a charity
77 x Proactively ‘gave-way’ to other drivers
7 x Picked up rubbish in the neighbourhood
1 x Gave respite care by taking-on another link
1 x Help a stranger with her pram
35 x Proactively ‘gave-way’ to a pedestrian
4 x Voluntary work for Ipsos Access Panels
1 x Voluntary work with the local community association
2 x Gave respite care to a family by looking after Luke
2 x Cut neighbours lawn
5 x Struck-up a cheery conversation with a stranger
18 x Held the door open for someone
2 x Helped someone in need

Sub total: 185
Running total: 2792

Target: 3000+ in 12months

Commenced 30thNovember 2011

Motivation for ‘’My Ten-a-day’

One day a man was walking along the beach when he noticed a boy picking something up and gently throwing it into the ocean.

Approaching the boy, he asked, “What are you doing?”

The youth replied, “Throwing starfish back into the ocean. The surf is up and the tide is going out. If I don’t throw them back, they’ll die.”

“Son,” the man said, “don’t you realize there are miles and miles of beach and hundreds of starfish? You can’t make a difference!”

After listening politely, the boy bent down, picked up another starfish, and threw it back into the surf. Then, smiling at the man, he said, “I made a difference for that one.”


No comments:

Post a Comment