Monday 6 February 2012

Day 60 to 68 – Penny For Your Thoughts

One of the great advantages of this endeavour is that I see more opportunities to do some good than I previously did.

I have noticed that on most retailers counters are charity boxes. I have taken to putting my loose change in them each time I see one.

I was thinking about how much could be given to good causes if everyone in the UK took advantage of them.

If everyone in the UK put a penny (1p) in a charity box, each day, then good causes throughout our country would receive £622,187.61 ...

... in a week it would mount up to £4,355,313.27 ...

... in a year they would receive £227,098,477.65

That’s a lot of pennies!!!

This week’s ‘penny’ treats included:

7 x Gave cash to a charity
1 x Voluntary work as a mediation consultant
1 x Voluntary work at the local medical centre
1 x Voluntary work for Ipsos Access Panels
1 x Put neighbours bin back after the bin men had been
13 x Held the door open for someone
1 x Proactively ‘gave-way’ to a pedestrian
30 x Proactively ‘gave-way’ to another driver
1 x Gave a cheery hello/good morning to a stranger
2 x Took time to let someone know I appreciate them

Sub total: 58

Running total: 663

Target: 3000+ in 12months

Commenced 30th November 2011



Motivation for ‘’My Ten-a-day’

One day a man was walking along the beach when he noticed a boy picking something up and gently throwing it into the ocean.

Approaching the boy, he asked, “What are you doing?”

The youth replied, “Throwing starfish back into the ocean. The surf is up and the tide is going out. If I don’t throw them back, they’ll die.”

“Son,” the man said, “don’t you realize there are miles and miles of beach and hundreds of starfish? You can’t make a difference!”

After listening politely, the boy bent down, picked up another starfish, and threw it back into the surf. Then, smiling at the man, he said, “I made a difference for that one.”

No comments:

Post a Comment