Tuesday 10 January 2012

Day 42 – The Reluctant Driver

Over the past month or so my driving has changed as I am constantly on the look-out for other drivers or pedestrians that need someone to stop and let them out or cross the road.

Whilst visiting Charlie and Miles I could see this car up ahead on my nearside wanting to pull into the road I was on. I slowed down to allow her to get in and flashed my headlights … she didn’t move! I continued to slow, flashed my headlights again and gave her a hand signal to pull out … she didn’t moved. By this time I was so determined to let her out I stopped, flashed my headlights again and gave her another hand signal ... she still refused to move. Unfortunately the guy behind me didn't appreciate my determination to do some good and began honking his horn at me.

Well, she never did pull out … maybe she wasn't use to people being kind to her on the road … J

However, my successful acts today included:

1 x Voluntary work at the local medical centre
1 x Helping a stranger carry her bags
1 x Gave a hello/good morning to a stranger
13 x Proactively ‘gave-way’ to another driver
1 x Cleared/picked-up rubbish in the neighbourhood
3 x Put neighbours bin back after the bin men had been

Sub total: 20
Running total: 439

Target: 3000+ in 12months

Commenced 30th November 2011

Motivation for ‘’My Ten-a-day’

One day a man was walking along the beach when he noticed a boy picking something up and gently throwing it into the ocean.

Approaching the boy, he asked, “What are you doing?”

The youth replied, “Throwing starfish back into the ocean. The surf is up and the tide is going out. If I don’t throw them back, they’ll die.”

“Son,” the man said, “don’t you realize there are miles and miles of beach and hundreds of starfish? You can’t make a difference!”After listening politely, the boy bent down, picked up another starfish,
and threw it back into the surf. Then, smiling at the man, he said, “I made a difference for that one.”

No comments:

Post a Comment