Thursday 12 January 2012

Day 43 to 44 – Community Service

A big hello to Melody and the McFarlane Family … thank you so much for joining. It would be good to get to a hundred followers so please spread the word.

Having spent most of my life in public service, retirement has been a little difficult for me. However, I have found a sense of involvement by being part of local community groups. They really need supporting and through their work many lives can be blessed.

I enjoy my association with the Langford Village Community Association, the Langford Medical Practice Patient Group, Take-a-Break (Respite Carer) and as a mediation consultant for the Thames Valley Police.

These activities are so fulfilling and I would encourage everyone to find a local group that needs supporting … good hunting!

 My latest haul of kind deeds include:

1 x Voluntary work at the local medical centre
3 v Voluntary work for Ipsos Access Panels
1 x Gave cash to a charity
1 x Gave a hello/good morning to a stranger
19 x Proactively ‘gave-way’ to another driver
12 x Proactively ‘gave-way’ to a pedestrian
1 x Wrote a letter to someone to let them know I care

Sub total: 38
Running total: 477

Target: 3000+ in 12months

Commenced 30th November 2011

 Motivation for ‘’My Ten-a-day’

One day a man was walking along the beach when he noticed a boy picking something up and gently throwing it into the ocean.

Approaching the boy, he asked, “What are you doing?”

The youth replied, “Throwing starfish back into the ocean. The surf is up and the tide is going out. If I don’t throw them back, they’ll die.”

“Son,” the man said, “don’t you realize there are miles and miles of beach and hundreds of starfish? You can’t make a difference!”

After listening politely, the boy bent down, picked up another starfish, and threw it back into the surf. Then, smiling at the man, he said, “I made a difference for that one.”

1 comment: