Friday 9 December 2011

Day 10 - A Chat with Julia

I was chatting with Gill about what should I do on the days I fall short of my target. I felt that doing an act of kindness just to get my ‘Ten-a-Day’ was not in keeping with the spirit of the venture. I also felt that doing things for Gill, my immediate family or the church should not be included. I really want to do something for strangers/friends motivated by love. 
 
Gill is very supportive, and a lot wiser than me, and just encourages me to do my best … I think that is the key.

Whilst out Christmas shopping today I got chatting to a women named Julia. It is truly a wonderful thing to engage with a complete stranger and share a part of your day with them. I spent about half-an-hour talking about her family and mine … it was truly a special moment and further testifies to me that we are all truly brothers and sisters.

I have two more supports joining my Blog … welcome Luke and Anneke; it is good to have you on board.

Today’s random ‘acts of kindness’ included:
3 x Voluntary work in the community
1 x Stopped and had a long chat with a stranger at the garden centre
1 x Gave cash to a charity
2 x Proactively ‘gave-way’ to another driver whilst driving
3 x Gave a hello/good morning to a stranger

Sub total: 10
Running total: 132

Target: 3000+ in 12months

Commenced 30th November 2011

Motivation for ‘’My Ten-a-day’

One day a man was walking along the beach when he noticed a boy picking something up and gently throwing it into the ocean.
Approaching the boy, he asked, “What are you doing?”
The youth replied, “Throwing starfish back into the ocean. The surf is up and the tide is going out. If I don’t throw them back, they’ll die.”
“Son,” the man said, “don’t you realize there are miles and miles of beach and hundreds of starfish? You can’t make a difference!”
After listening politely, the boy bent down, picked up another starfish,
and threw it back into the surf. Then, smiling at the man, he said, “I made a difference for that one.”

No comments:

Post a Comment