Wednesday 14 December 2011

Day 14 - Litter Picking!!

Outside my house is Jubilee Lake. It is a great place to walk and feed the ducks and has become a recreational area for my family; especially my grandson Miles.
There is often rubbish dropped in the area and this has often been the subject of complaints to the local District Council.

Unfortunately this has not dealt with the problem, so for a few years ago I have began to conducted my own litter-picks. I really enjoy the experience and find it so satisfying. I have often been mistaken as the local ‘bin-man’ by kids feeding ducks with their mums … ha, ha.

Sometimes direct action is the best way of getting things done.

Today’s random ‘acts of kindness’ included:

1 x Proactively volunteered to help out a colleague
1 x Let someone know I care about them
1 x Gave cash to a charity
4 x Proactively ‘gave-way’ to another driver
1 x Cleared/picked-up rubbish in the neighbourhood
1 x Put neighbours bin back after the bin men had been
1 x Voluntary work in the community

Sub total: 10
Running total: 204

Target: 3000+ random acts of kindness in 12 months

Commenced 30th November 2011

Motivation for ‘’My Ten-a-day’


One day a man was walking along the beach when he noticed a boy picking something up and gently throwing it into the ocean.

Approaching the boy, he asked, “What are you doing?”

The youth replied, “Throwing starfish back into the ocean. The surf is up and the tide is going out. If I don’t throw them back, they’ll die.”

“Son,” the man said, “don’t you realise there are miles and miles of beach and hundreds of starfish? You can’t make a difference!”

After listening politely, the boy bent down, picked up another starfish,
and threw it back into the surf. Then, smiling at the man, he said, “I made a difference for that one.”

No comments:

Post a Comment