Sunday 11 December 2011

Day 11 - Harry's Day

A couple of years ago I volunteered as a respite carer and was linked with Harry. Since that time I have spent one day every month taking him out on shopping trips, bowling, swimming and other activities.
Harry is autistic and has limited communication skills and has become one of the most important people in my life. He is an extraordinary person and has the ability of getting the best out of the people who come into contact with him.

My love for him, and his family, has developed over the years and I am a better person for being with him.

(Kind permission granted by his parents to mention my care of Harry)

 Today’s random ‘acts of kindness’ included:

1 x Voluntary work in the community
2 x Stopped and had a long chat with a stranger
2 x Gave cash to a charity
21 x Proactively ‘gave-way’ to another driver
4 x Proactively ‘gave-way’ to a pedestrian
2 x Held the door open for someone

Sub total: 34
Running total: 166

Target: 3000+ in 12months

Commenced 30th November 2011

Motivation for ‘’My Ten-a-day’

One day a man was walking along the beach when he noticed a boy picking something up and gently throwing it into the ocean.
Approaching the boy, he asked, “What are you doing?”
The youth replied, “Throwing starfish back into the ocean. The surf is up and the tide is going out. If I don’t throw them back, they’ll die.”
“Son,” the man said, “don’t you realize there are miles and miles of beach and hundreds of starfish? You can’t make a difference!”
After listening politely, the boy bent down, picked up another starfish,
and threw it back into the surf. Then, smiling at the man, he said, “I made a difference for that one.”

No comments:

Post a Comment