Tuesday 27 December 2011

Day 26 to 28 – Hallowed Ground

A few years ago on a sunny Sunday afternoon, I was returning to Bicester from Church in Banbury along the B4100. As I approached the Hardwick turning, just prior to a sharp right hand bend, I could see ahead of me a road accident.

I pulled over, put on a fluorescent jacket that I kept in the boot of my car, and walked over to see if I could help. The road was completely blocked and I notice that the scene was unusually quiet; even though there were quite a few people standing around. I could see that a motorcycle and car had been involved and as I walked over to the motorcycle I saw a man kneeling next to the body of a young women. I’m not sure how or why, but I immediate knew she was dead and this was confirmed to me by the man with her. There was nothing we could do.

I often pass the scene of that accident and at times see flowers tied to a road sign; as members of her family and friends remember her. I consider that ground hallowed and a place for people to come and pay their respects.

As Gill and I were driving to church on Christmas Day we past that spot and I could see, as we approached, that someone had dropped a bag of rubbish and the content was strewn all over the area. I felt so sad and emotional and in a way felt that this spot had been desecrated. I’m sure this was an irrational reaction and I’m sure the person who dropped the litter had no idea as to what had happened at that spot a few years ago.

Well, the area has been cleared of the rubbish and restored to its unofficial status as ‘hallowed ground’.

Other activities this Christmas season have included:

2 x Gave cash to a charity
1 x Help a stranger with her shopping
5 x Proactively ‘gave-way’ to another driver
2 x Proactively ‘gave-way’ to a pedestrian
2 x Put neighbours bin back after the bin men had been
1 x Voluntary work in the community

Sub total: 13
Running total: 352

Target: 3000+ random acts of kindness in 12months

Commenced 30th November 2011

Motivation for ‘’My Ten-a-day’

One day a man was walking along the beach when he noticed a boy picking something up and gently throwing it into the ocean.

Approaching the boy, he asked, “What are you doing?”

The youth replied, “Throwing starfish back into the ocean. The surf is up and the tide is going out. If I don’t throw them back, they’ll die.”

“Son,” the man said, “don’t you realise there are miles and miles of beach and hundreds of starfish? You can’t make a difference!”

After listening politely, the boy bent down, picked up another starfish,
and threw it back into the surf. Then, smiling at the man, he said, “I made a difference for that one.”

No comments:

Post a Comment